Home »Forum»Open mic at the Blue Iguana »What's your primary ambition here?

What's your primary ambition here?

posted on #1
User Avatar Supporter
A very open question that could have lots of answers. E.g. write great music, fit in with others in making a track as good as possible, develop my musicianship, develop as a soloist, find an audience, find a way to play with other good musicians, become great/famous, find the lost chord...etc. If you opt for one of the last two you're in trouble. Several of these (and more) are probably true for some of us.

Stef recently gave me a clue to myself in a "telling" comment that basically said that I'm trying to be inside the music. Totally right! I don't offer many/any templates and not particularly interested in trying to draw attention as a virtuoso (haven't got the chops anyway). So I'm trying to find the essence of a track and fit or push that further along. Even if it's a melodic solo I'm not interested in standing "outside" the music, the music comes first.

Where do you fit and think some of your favorite (followed?) musicians fit?

As the Who said "Who are you"?
You're only as old as you smell
posted on #2
User Avatar Supporter
I like the first three answers.

Wade wrote:
A very open question that could have lots of answers. E.g. write great music, fit in with others in making a track as good as possible, develop my musicianship, develop as a soloist, find an audience, find a way to play with other good musicians, become great/famous, find the lost chord...etc. If you opt for one of the last two you're in trouble. Several of these (and more) are probably true for some of us.

Stef recently gave me a clue to myself in a "telling" comment that basically said that I'm trying to be inside the music. Totally right! I don't offer many/any templates and not particularly interested in trying to draw attention as a virtuoso (haven't got the chops anyway). So I'm trying to find the essence of a track and fit or push that further along. Even if it's a melodic solo I'm not interested in standing "outside" the music, the music comes first.

Where do you fit and think some of your favorite (followed?) musicians fit?

As the Who said "Who are you"?
posted on #3
User Avatar Supporter
Like Frank, I stand on the first 3 ideas. I also try to do the cleanest work possible, in exchange and dialogue. As a soloist, I can't afford to neglect the branch I'm tweeting on... Without the boost the other gives me, I'm not much... so
posted on #4
A very good question Wade, and the quick answer would be: what Frankie and Titi said already...

The longer one, I think that ambitions here might change a bit over time. Remember my enthusiasm when I discovered and entered the 'loops in early 2018, and wanted to "promote" it as good as I could? I thought we'd have to bring the thing to a bigger stage and audience, and that is probably what many "newbies" might think and feel.

But by now I think that we don't have to, and that we can be glad with what we have here. So yes, adding to a track/song to make it as "good" as possible if I can is probably my main motivator. Plus some tracks/songs really move me in a good way, so downloading is often a spontaneous reaction, even if I don't even touch those for a while.

Anyway, I'm very grateful for what we have here, and that all of you fine musicians keep coming back and uploading such gems of music. I can't always listen as much as I want, but this site is awesome - thanks to all of you :)
posted on #5
User Avatar Supporter
For me, Wikiloops is the best "musical playground" I've ever found. In my entire life I've never had the opportunity to collaborate with so many gifted musicians in one "place". Not to mention how supportive and positive everyone is here. I didn't even know home studio recording was such a prevalent thing before joining WL. :)

To answer Wade's question directly, my primary ambition here is to explore the different genres and try to contribute and learn as much as I can. Kudos to the WL founders, you have created something truly unique and wonderful! Mike
posted on #6
User Avatar Supporter
Because my job is a musician and I only played in symphonic orchestras, I always had a longing to play pop music. My many years of intensive training as a drummer and cellist only served orchestral music and with Wikiloops I was able to make my dream come true. I am trained and interested in all styles and it makes me very happy to be able to play with all of you.
My dream has finally come true here and I take pop music as seriously as classical and I always strive to give my best and work for the music.
posted on #7
User Avatar Supporter
For me Wikiloops (introduced to me via Cafesaxophone) opens the door to fruitful collaborations with musicians from all over the world in many genres. Such collaborations are practically impossible at my age, so Wikiloops has removed that isolation factor and provided a friendly community to interact with and realise my primary ambition to play music with other people. I wish I’d known about it sooner!
posted on #8
User Avatar Supporter
I came here because I was just curious. I wasn't really looking for anything, sort of stumbled in here.
I didn't really have any ambitions. I just tried it out and quickly realized that there was a lot to learn here.
It was just fun! Nice people who made me very welcome. At first I just played to existing templates and learned a lot about music theory and practice in the process.

Today I would say that I have the ambition to provide the community with new templates. It's great fun to see and hear what's going to happen next.

I've been here for over 7 years now and I wouldn't want to miss a day. I hope that wikiloops will stay with us for a very long time.

Long live wikiloops!:W;)
Rockin´ in a free world !
posted on #9
User Avatar Member
When I was looking for backing tracks I came across the site. At that time I couldn't upload the remixes because I had just started to drum. In the meantime it works and what I think is great is that you can be creative. No, ah one less crash there or something else there or there, but everyone accepts it as it is if you want to do something about it. Another point is the great community here, there is no bashing in the jams, often the opposite, you sometimes have something to laugh about in the comments :) Of course, I'm happy when others like my adds and when it continues , has brought me a lot of smiles, you don't expect anything and BÄÄÄMM you have to bang your head :W and you can tell how much effort the other has made to create a great listening experience. AND then it goes on again and I'm happy. In the meantime you have also found a few colleagues with whom you have often been able to create great music. Or you also have great contact with others (in my case drummers) where you listen to other ideas for the same piece and are enthusiastic.
-
Als ich nach Backing Tracks gesucht habe bin ich auf die Seite gestossen. Damals konnte ich die Remixe nicht hochladen da ich gerade erst begonnen hatte zu trommeln. Mittlerweile geht´s und was ich toll finde, man darf kreativ sein. Kein, ah da ein Crash weniger oder da was anderes oder dort, sondern jeder nimmt es so an wie es ist wenn man dazu was machen möchte. Ein weiterer Punkt ist die tolle Community hier, hier gibt es kein Bashing in den Jams, oft der Gegenteil, man hat in den Kommentaren auch mal was zu lachen :) Natürlich freut es mich wenn andere meine Adds gut finden und wenn es dann weiter geht, hat mir schon viele Lächeln beschert, man erwartet nichts und BÄÄÄMM muss man schon mit Headbangen :W und man merkt wie sich der andere Mühe gegeben hat ein tolles Hörerlebnis zu schaffen. UND dann gehts wieder weiter und mich freut es. Mittlerweile hat man auch ein paar Kollegen gefunden mit denen man schon öfter tolle Musik erschaffen durfte. Oder man hat auch tollen Kontakt zu anderen (bei mir Schlagzeugern) wo man sich andere Ideen zum gleichen Stück anhört und begeistert ist.
Keiner ist perfekt. Aber ein Drummer ist da definitiv nah dran :)
Nobody is perfect. But a drummer is definitely close :)
posted on #10
User Avatar Supporter
when i first joined WL, i wanted to just explore and have fun. making/playing music had been out of my life for a bit and i wanted to get back to it. after two years, i've realized it's a great platform to learn and experiment, and still have fun :) creative expression is something you just feel, and there's lots of opportunity here for that. what you don't plan for is to make musical "connections" with other musicians...and that's just totally cool and special, and hard to put into words.

i guess if i had to answer the "primary ambition" question, it's to continue to learn, evolve, create, and be my musical self, knowing that my musical self is hopefully evolving because of the WL experience :)
posted on #11
User Avatar Supporter
For me it's like the musical version of crosswords ... every track is a bit of a puzzle and it's fun to grab one, have no idea if you'll finish it or get it all right ... and then getting it done and hoping it's "correct" sounds good or at least "ok" and snot bad ... this and pretty much all the reasons everyone else mentioned as well. Great place to practice and even have a few laughs at times with other musical scoundrels hehe. :D Way more fun than jamming to records just cuz of the feedback and interaction with others.
posted on #12
User Avatar Supporter
Plus meeting hot groupies!! :O:D
posted on #13
User Avatar Supporter
Groupies? Where where where?!? :o:P:D
Rockin´ in a free world !
posted on #14
User Avatar Supporter
Ernie440 wrote:

:D sounds like i've been missing out! :o
posted on #15
User Avatar Member
rootshell wrote:
Ernie440 wrote:

Hmm, you didn't miss out them my friend... Bass players and Drummers got all the girls :P
Edited by Face on August 13 2022 01:00
Keiner ist perfekt. Aber ein Drummer ist da definitiv nah dran :)
Nobody is perfect. But a drummer is definitely close :)
posted on #16
User Avatar Supporter
Face wrote:
rootshell wrote:
Ernie440 wrote:

Hmm, you didn't miss out them my friend... Bass players and Drummers got all the girls :P

LOL good one Christian! :D
posted on #17
User Avatar Supporter
I have no particular ambition, I seek above all to develop my musical sense and when I listen to my first tracks and those of today I think I have progressed a little and this thanks to the wonderful musicians met here.. .I love the connections that have created with the "loopers"! they become familiar and it's really cool 😁 after meeting physically would be a "must" but wouldn't that break the magic of WL?🙂 in any case this site has become for me a place of sharing, learning and d friendship...as long as it lasts...🤟
Jef 29
posted on #18
User Avatar Member
My primary ambition here is to make a lot of money of course! What else? :D
posted on #19
User Avatar Supporter
Al-Fadista wrote:
My primary ambition here is to make a lot of money of course! What else? :D

haha Maybe someone famous will hear you here and give you a call!! You're good enuff! :O:W
posted on #20
User Avatar Supporter
I think celebrating creativity is kind of urge for some (me) and basking is not yet an option, since on the street i cannot delete and re-record, and I would deliver but not receive the inspiration from so many creative souls as e.g. here.
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
Pedersen from Denmark

"Everyone deserves to be able to jam with others! supporting wikiloops with a penny here and there, and share links on the web makes this possible!"

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy ..