Home »Forum»Recording and mixing»New and free mastering tool

New and free mastering tool

posted on #1
Hey friends,

this one's new and free (both as in libre and as in beer/cost), and it even has an 'easy' mode, so it could be perfect for beginners to get just their levels correct.

Haven't tried it yet, so have a look yourselves if you please:

https://kx.studio/News/?action=view&url=introducing-masterme

Hope that helps anyone, and
cheers,
Wolfgang
posted on #2
User Avatar Member
The link goes to a blank page, Wolfgang
posted on #3
I see, Peter - sorry about that. If I write https://kx.studio/News/?action=view&url=introducing-masterme here then the link changes and adds an "amp" if you mouse-over it, don't know why that happens - probably a bug in our software?

Please try to remove the "amp" after the "&", I can't take that out in the editor view here because there I don't see it. Or on the kx.studio page, select "News" and then scroll down.

Sorry about that...

cheers,
Wolfgang

P.S.: just wrote a bug report about this - so thanks for letting me/us know about that, Peter! That's really appreciated :)
Edited by wjl on September 23 2022 16:39
posted on #4
User Avatar Member
Thanks, Wolfgang, I did that and it worked. But they say it's EASY! Doesn't look it to me :|

Edit: & might have worked but I'm only guessing.

Sorry, being stupid, just tried it and it doesn't.
Edited by BB6 on September 23 2022 16:50
posted on #5
Well, sorry about that as well - and as I wrote in my first post, I haven't tried it myself yet.

Also by now on Github I saw that this is more for live streaming and such, so I don't even know if you can save the result locally; sorry if I was a bit fast in my enthusiasm ;) Maybe that's because on Debian everything is just an 'apt install master-me' away (if you happen to have those kxstudio repositories), so I didn't have to look at Github first like a Windows or Mac user would have to...

You are on Linux as well if I remember that correctly? Ardour has loudness targets by default, so during export you can choose -16LUFS (average) and -1dBTP (true peaks), so you wouldn't even need this 'mastering' tool... :)
posted on #6
User Avatar Member
I was being lazy actually, Wolfgang. I took one look and couldn't be bothered looking further. So it might well be comparatively easy for most people, but I'm not most people wrt music software. TBH, I've got really fed up with constantly having to learn all the ins and outs, and search and try again and again, for something that should just be easy. I blame it on the Technocrats but that's another story. Anyway, I'm hoping there's a better way -- https://www.wikiloops.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=3072#post_22090
Thanks for trying.
posted on #7
User Avatar Supporter
I looked around this site and couldn't spot the mastering plugin either. Back to being happy with your favorite daw's mastering options...
Michael Bender
posted on #8
User Avatar Member
BB6 wrote:
I was being lazy actually, Wolfgang. I took one look and couldn't be bothered looking further. So it might well be comparatively easy for most people, but I'm not most people wrt music software. TBH, I've got really fed up with constantly having to learn all the ins and outs, and search and try again and again, for something that should just be easy. I blame it on the Technocrats but that's another story. Anyway, I'm hoping there's a better way -- https://www.wikiloops.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=3072#post_22090
Thanks for trying.
It's a mastering chain in one plugin... but you still have to know what you're doing with the eq, compressor, multi-band compressor, limiter, phase tools etc TBH, you're probably better off using tools you already know your way around. Or if you're like me, just don't try and master as I usually make things worse. lol
*I just looked, I didn't try it.
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
Bothen from United States

"Love this site. It keeps the rust off my playing."

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy ..