Home » Forum » Musicians forum »
Way to evaluate acceptance of an jam track

Way to evaluate acceptance of an jam track

posted on #1
Krasimir Supporter
Hi friends,
Just thinking which is right way to evaluate acceptance of an wiki jam track. For example one track have 7 acceptance thumbs and is listened by 52 people. This mean 13%. Other is listened by 1650 and have 24 thumbs which mean 1.4 %. Which one is beter. Of course this is soo subjective, community, style music, friendship in wiki community, internal feeling once listen the music, etc and etc. :)
posted on #2
MySounds Supporter
Hi Krasimir,

just wondering why you would want to evaluate this. My feeling based on my own thumbing and listening behaviour is that any analysis you run may generate numbers but no real content.

One reason is that I don`t generally give a thumbs up to tracks that are "older", though I like them.

Another reason is that I sometimes move backwards through the jams, starting with the lastest version and then going back to the root. That will generate listening numbers but they have no real meaning in the sense of acceptance.

Personally from my perspective, the most important feedback is even a single comment - be it positive or negative (though constructive) - that will help me improve or help me understand what and why people like something - or not.

Just my impression, but it seems that in the early WL years there were more comments a la "why don`t you remix it again and make the bass louder" or "sounds great, but your timing is a bit off". That is something I think is helpful for my skill development as I get an outside view.

I would also suppose that a thumbs-up to a remix is open to interpretation: Does it relate to the overall latest remix or to the singular addition?

And does a thums up mean "Hey, great track for listening" or "This is a great track that I would want to add to"?

And finally, as you point out, there`s also the subjective mood factor. There are days when I just can`t listen to certain genres. When I revisit them later, I may give a thumbs up or not.

I may be in a minority on this but the emotional factor of creating, playing, mixing etc. is much more important to me than statistical evaluation....which is easy for me to say as I am still on the bottom slope of my learning curve :-)

Thomas
(sorry for the long reply)
+5
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
Krasimir Supporter
Thanks Thomas. Yes topick is specific and many people will wonder how and why. My quick reply subjective or no in an community evaluation is important. Thanks once again. :)
+1
posted on #4
PatrickDA Supporter
"Personally from my perspective, the most important feedback is even a single comment - be it positive or negative (though constructive) - that will help me improve or help me understand what and why people like something - or not."
Thomas I agree completely. It is nice to have positive comments for ones ego but perhaps more valuable to have constructive criticism. For example Wade and a few others has been useful to me in commenting on my recorded sound, timing etc and I have found this very useful.
It's still good to get lots of thumbs and praise!
+4
posted on #5
zedders Supporter
Downloads might be a good evaluation as it represents how many people think they'd like to play along and add something?

Also perhaps it depends on your angle - do you play/add to "finish" something, filling up the space, or in a more teasing way, with hints of melody perhaps in the hope of enticing others to join the jam? Or maybe you noodle your way from start to end for the pure joy of that. The format here IMO is fantastic as it allows all the above non-destructively in parallel - something for everyone, but it also makes it impossible to evaluate one against another as our end goals differ (a good thing!).
+3
posted on #6
TeeGee Supporter
Hmmm we already discussed this in another thread you started some time ago :) As before, my reply is: You cannot deduct ANYTHING from likes etc., it depends on so many factors. Trying to do so is fruitless in my honest opinion. Just try to have fun with the music you create :)

https://www.wikiloops.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=3025#post_21877
+6
posted on #7
eothen
I totally agree with TeeGee. Imho you should focus on your craft instead of trying to analyse likes etc. which aren't comparable at all. Analyse your music instead and try to improve it. If we are honest we have some great musicians here on the platform but no one of us (and not even commercially successful musicians) have exhausted their full musical potential. So if you start caring too much about not significant likes you'll probably hamper your musical development because you might over- or underestimate yourself. Critical comments like the ones Wade write from time to time (as PatrickDA already mentioned) should be the desired thing in order to get better.
+1
posted on #8
Krasimir Supporter
TeeGee wrote:
Hmmm we already discussed this in another thread you started some time ago :) As before, my reply is: You cannot deduct ANYTHING from likes etc., it depends on so many factors. Trying to do so is fruitless in my honest opinion. Just try to have fun with the music you create :)

https://www.wikiloops.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=3025#post_21877

Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
Krasimir Supporter
Yes TeeGee, this is my opinion too.Beauty of Wikiloops is freedom to make music without side influence. But analyzing some tracks and responds on it i wrote this topic just to set my watch. Regards. ;)
posted on #10
Krasimir Supporter
eothen wrote:
I totally agree with TeeGee. Imho you should focus on your craft instead of trying to analyse likes etc. which aren't comparable at all. Analyse your music instead and try to improve it. If we are honest we have some great musicians here on the platform but no one of us (and not even commercially successful musicians) have exhausted their full musical potential. So if you start caring too much about not significant likes you'll probably hamper your musical development because you might over- or underestimate yourself. Critical comments like the ones Wade write from time to time (as PatrickDA already mentioned) should be the desired thing in order to get better.

posted on #11
Krasimir Supporter
Eothen you are right but in my nature analizys is must. No harm to do so. At same time this did not force me to follow others just to get better ideas and practice. ;)
posted on #12
eothen
In my opinion:

Generally spoken analyzing is a good thing :) but the approach you've descriped initialy will not lead to objective results because:

-How do you know if someone plays a track multiple times? For example: I listen a lot to my own tracks to practice rapping or to think about what are the areas which I can improve.

-Also different demographics should be considered. If you look up the favorite music genres by age there are huge differences. E.g. here on Wikiloops Rock and Jazz tracks are very popular whereas the most popular genre amongst people under 35 is Hip-Hop. Unfortunately, This age group is not really represented here on Wikiloops.

-How is it possible to compare different genres at all?

-Another of MANY factors would be networking, if you have a lot of friends here on Wikiloops you will receive more likes which isn't really connected to the quality of your uploads.

-Recognition of the track: if you're track is remixed a couple of times people will pay more attention to it. You could argue that only "better" tracks receive remixes but I think this is difficult to rate

So there is (as I said in my opinion) no basis to ask "which one is better" if it is only limited to one ratio without considering further information. If you really want an valid answer (if there is one) your approach should be way more sophisticated.

Sorry for the long post :)
+2
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
Condenser Clip Microphone for Ovid System
49 €
posted on #13
hartmut Supporter
If I had produced a track which then was listened 33,5 Million times, I would owe You all a beer, no matter how many likes I would have received :D :D hehe! Cheers & Have fun!
+3
posted on #14
Krasimir Supporter
hartmut wrote:
If I had produced a track which then was listened 33,5 Million times, I would owe You all a beer, no matter how many likes I would have received :D :D hehe! Cheers & Have fun!

posted on #15
Krasimir Supporter
Yes, yes.. all is subject to how many fans you have and of course many subjectiv things like style, advertisement, others... :(
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
It is amazing having friends from around the planet to work on music with. The most fun a muscian can have on the internet.
KMstar from United States

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy.