Home »Forum»Recording and mixing»Recording setup?

Recording setup?

posted on #1
Interested in what you are using.
I run through a Boss JS8 eBand for amp modeling, effects and digital interface into a USB port on a PC with Audacity DAW software. I also have a Behrenger UB808 mixer for live micing.
Very simple, inexpensive and small. My "studio" is in a corner of a bedroom.
Instruments are a Fender 50's P-bass, Alvarez AF222C acoustic/electric with a piezo and a Fishman NeoD single-coil soundhole pickup, Squier E9 Strat with TexMex pickups, Squier Tele Custom II with Duncan P90s, Native American style flutes in F#m and Am and Irish tin whistles in high and low D.
I have not used all of them here on wikiloops yet, but will when the opportunity comes along.
posted on #2
Supporter
hey david!
I have to admit, I dont have any bass or git amps at all, using a small behringer tube pre, a yamaha MG206c mixer and 24-bit behringer AD/DA converters (got 16 channels...). into the computer using pulsar sope soundcard, recording in Cubase VST, cutting & looping in Wavelab.
Doing all of this in a sort of living/bedroom/studio chamber. We should start posting pics, just thinking of nofishs profile pic...
"Sorry - had to do it!" - Les Claypool

yes, you are looking at the administrators signature.
posted on #3
Well my setup is very basic. Digitech Rp90 multi-fx pedal running through an m-audio fastrack USB. Recording using Mackie Tracktion DAW(got it on sale for 20 bucks :D )

This sits in the corner of our "office/studio" Hoping to expand if we move into a bigger place. I'd like a nice monitor, a bigger mixer and a bass to get things going. In due time....
“Somebody needs what you have to give. It may not be your money; it may be your time. It may be your listening ear....."
posted on #4
My setup is probably even more basic than the above lol, it's either a Zoom B1X recorded DI to the computer's sound card, or my bass recorded DI with a cheap USB interface.

My main DAW is Reaper, though I use FL Studio for electronic music.
posted on #5
Ok, here's mine:

Line 6 UX-1 USB Interface, guitar directly plugged into it.
I use the Line 6's POD Farm 2 software for the guitar amplification, and record in RiffWorks T4.
Additionally I use Ableton Live 7 Lite for sequencing.

It's a cheap all in one packet, and very simple to use.

And to cut, convert and stuff like that, I use Audacity.

Ah, apropos 'cheap', I use a Sheffield guitar. It was my first one, bougth over 10 years ago.
Edited by KapitanH on 05-10-2011 20:15
posted on #6
allright here is my setup:
i am using a edrum kit: yamaha dtxpress II
connected this via midi to my interface: focusrite saffire pro 24
the sounds come from a VST "addictive drums" that i use in ableton live.
posted on #7
Old_Mojo wrote:
I run through a Boss JS8 eBand for amp modeling, effects and digital interface into a USB port on a PC with Audacity DAW software. I also have a Behrenger UB808 mixer for live micing.
Very simple, inexpensive and small. My "studio" is in a corner of a bedroom.
Instruments are a Fender 50's P-bass, Alvarez AF222C acoustic/electric with a piezo and a Fishman NeoD single-coil soundhole pickup, Squier E9 Strat with TexMex pickups, Squier Tele Custom II with Duncan P90s, Native American style flutes in F#m and Am and Irish tin whistles in high and low D.
I have not used all of them here on wikiloops yet, but will when the opportunity comes along.

i am also using a BOSS EBAND JS 8, i got it a few weeks ago , brilliant device for the guitarist /singer , ect ect , :)
posted on #8
Here's my setup, I use Ableton DAW software, Audacity for changing files to mp3s as its quick and simple. Focusrite 2i2 Audio Interface, laptop with Ampeg amp modelling and effects software. Ernie Ball Stingray 5 Bass, TC Electronic BH500 Head, Orange OBC 115 Cab. Just bought a Boss RC30 dual looper pedal so will need to learn how to use this. All the software was free and have only recently bought bass and amp/cab setup after 30 years of playing cheap equipment.:) Want to buy the Boss ME50B Bass effects pedal when I have some funds (wife will divorce me if i buy anything else), then I am complete for what I want to do.
There's a reason why women love us bass players.The tone is like Barry White's voice, and the strings are thick like Ron Jeremy's...well, you get the point.:D
posted on #9
I just want to download a few tracts direct to audacity how in easyterms do I do it
posted on #10
Supporter
ricky - this thread is about what you use for recording....
and to give an answer to your request anyways: You cannot "download into audacity" in one move. First, download the file and save it to your PC, be it on the desktop or any other destination folder.
Then, in a second step, open audacity and look for an option to "import" an audio file. Import the downloaded file to audacity that way, and there you go.
"Sorry - had to do it!" - Les Claypool

yes, you are looking at the administrators signature.
posted on #11
I use either Riffworks Standard or Garageband 10..

My signal chain is bass->Apogee JAM->StudioDevil VBA-Pro which is a 2 channel Tube Bass amp emulation. I may also start using the bass amps included with Garageband as they are the same as what Logic Pro has included.
posted on #12
Old_Mojo wrote:

I'm using Ableton Live on a Quad Core PC that I built myself (though I don't think all the cores are enabled.) I use an M-Audio model #1814 (firewire) for input and output interface and I-tunes for converting to MP3 format. For PlayBack, I use a powered mixer (europower?), some old school Peavey Sp2a speakers and a custom bilt (QSC amp) subwoofer.

Fun stuff!
"The good news is I'm already too old to die young" :D
posted on #13
Here is my setup:
To me it is basic but this is what I use. Eventually I would like to sound proof my room. I will admit the room I jam in is too small for the powered speakers I use.

Hardware:

1. Komplete Audio 6 (audio interface).
2. Harbinger APS15 15" Powered PA Speaker. (used for monitors)
3. Kustom PA KPC12P 12" Powered PA Speaker.(used for monitors)
4. behringer Eurorack UB802 mixing board. ( for more instruments)

Instruments:

1. Schecter Diamond Series Damien v-1 Flying V with EMG-HZ pickups
2. Cheap Slammer by Hammer 6 String Electric Guitar.
3. Abilene 6 String Acoustic Guitar.
4. Global Audio GXL2400 Condenser Mic. (powered by phantom power)
5. Shure dynamic Mic

Software I use:

1. Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5 Pro
2. Cool Edit Pro 2.1 (multi-track recording. I use this for mixing and loop making)
3. Cubas LE6 for Recording multiple instruments. (still learning how to use it)
4. waves Mercury plug ins and effects.
posted on #14
Like this thread! I use Behringer Guitar Link UCG102 into my laptop with guitar rig 4. Guitar rig has two tape decks one for play and one for recording. Sync the two players add track downloaded from wikiloops and play along. When I get the track recorded the way I like it I then put the track in Mixcraft 7 to mix down to mp3. With the Behringer Guitar Link UCG102 you have lots of recording options. Hook a mic to it and you can sing, play acoustic guitar, and add a mixing board using line out to record a piano track, or drum track. Real simple process.
posted on #15
Supporter
rickyd wrote:
I just want to download a few tracts direct to audacity how in easyterms do I do it

The easiest most direct is (for PC types): 1. Once you hit download and the file is in your computer, open the file that contains the track. If you already have Audacity then right click on "send to". Audacity should come up in the menu...click on that and it will come up.

From there I'm directly hooked up with a condenser microphone into the PCs 1/8" input jack. 2. Hit record (remember to turn up the record level). 3. edit. 4. If saving an unfinished project go to file at the top and use "Save As". This will put the file back where you got it from. If finished use "Export" and send to a file you designate for your finished track.

This is as simple and direct as it gets.
posted on #16
Supporter
Bass -> Saffire 24 -> iMac. I use a small ART tube amp & Shure 58 for vocals. I edit in Logic.
posted on #17
I am lucky moved couple years ago and converted the whole garage into a studio guitars I run a GNX 3000 direct to amp or use a old epitphone tube amp. Key board and harp go from the amp to a tascam 1800 into the computer where I use sonar for recording
tim
posted on #18
My setup:

Recording acoustic guitar through Groove Tubes mics (GT55 and GT33), into Focusrite Saffire LE and finally mixed and mastered on iMac. My DAW is Presonus Studio One and for monitors I use a couple of Genelec 8030.
I like to work with my Korg M3 sequencer as well.
My electric guitar is played through a small Roland Cube 30 amp.
posted on #19
Supporter
Oh - nice thread!!

I am playing with differend basses via Focusrite Saffire 6 USB into my computer. Than i use guitar rig as amp sim and record with audacity
Tha bass has to be a lil louder...!
posted on #20
Supporter
My kit is miked with an AKG D112 for the kick, a pair of clip-on Audio-Technica gooseneck mics for toms, 3xSM57 for snare and other toms/hi-hat and a pair of Audio-Technica condensers for the overheads. I usually only set up a four-pice kit so that's D112, clips-on on the toms, SM57 on the snare and the condenser overheads - I don't usually bother with the hi-hat. Snare is usually miked from the side of the drum, not over the top head, as you get a much better 'rattle' from it. Gone clean off big kits these days, even though my kit could be rigged to a 9-piece.

All goes into a Terratec Producer Phase88 8-in Firewire interface (via a Thunderbolt adapter because Apple removed their Firewire socket!), the toms via a mini mixing desk for the clip-on mics as the Phase88 has only two phantom-powered XLR inputs, the rest are jacks.

From there into Reaper running on a MacBook Pro. I only use the stock plugins and the Melda Production free plugins.

And from Reaper it gets ruined by my lack of mixing skill!
Edited by mpointon on 06-03-2015 15:15
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
Shi

"A friendly and welcoming place, it gives me the chance to be creative and have so much fun with an amazingly talented community. Thanks!"

wikiloops.com uses Cookies to provide you the best possible browsing experience.
Read more in our data privacy policy.