Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
Wikiloops 2013 - the numbers

wikiloops 2013 - the numbers

posted on #1
Dick Supporter
Hello there,

for the third time, I have the honor to give you some insights in the development of wikiloops - interested readers will find 2011 and 2012 reports by digging a little in this forum.

Why is there such a tradition on wikiloops?
Because I believe in transparency.
Wikiloops only works, because some musicians put their trust into me when taking care of their precious recordings, and it only survives because some notice the amount of work that is behind this and support me with donations.

In return for that, let me share the current state of the wiki project with you and add a little report like the years before - I am looking forward to your feedback, feel free to share your opinion here!

So here we go, I'll start with a dry table of the numbers and give a little personal review at the bottom:

EFFORTS & COST 2013

Server Cost:.............................................504 € ($ 693)
Banking fees:.............................................97 € ($ 133)
other fees:...............................................201 € ($ 276)

WORKLOAD

Again, there is no stopwatch near my laptop - a guesstimate of the hours on coding the updates of 2013 (see review below) and doing the necessary research would be around 500 hours of workload in 2013, not counting the time being online and doing moderating tasks.

EARNINGS AND DONATIONS

Donations:..........................................1802 € ($ 2478)
Add revenue:........................................630 € ($ 866)
shirts sold:..............................................21 € ($ 29)

BOTTTOM LINE

the secretary of wikiloops finance proudly presents:

a years sum of..........................................+1651 € ($ +2271)

If we account that with workload & investments of the first two years, we end up looking at a balance of..............................................................- 2113 € ($ -2906)
plus 1800 hours of voluntary work on the code, not to mention the many evenings spent by those who helped translate the interface to french and spanish.

That being said, lets look at the community & musical side of things:

USER STATS on the 1.1.2014

Registerred users:...................................9052 (+5630)
relation "ghosts" / active members:.........7080 / 1972
members who shared music:..............................456
banned spamming users 2013:..........................683
track downloads 2013...................................45.000
top visiting countries 2013:......................... USA 44%, Germany 13%, France 7%, Spain 6%, Britain 5%

MUSIC STATS

Number of tracks shared public:................12038 (+5735)
private tracks:..............................................185

Most played styles:....................................1. Rock (957k views), 2. Funk (719k), 3. Blues (652k)

SITE HITS 2013

total visitors:..................................................937.500 (webalizer stats)
average dayily visitors:....................................630 (piwik)

traffic per year / month / day:....................7404 GB / 617 GB / 20,3 GB

EDITORS REVIEW

Looking at the numbers, one can say everything almost doubled in 2013 - traffic, server cost, tracks shared, members - only one thing more than trippled: Your Support!
I have never been happier about any money than about the "win" of 2013 for wikiloops - and in comparison to the number of downloads in 2013, the group of donors looks rather small - I think there must be a lot of people out there who owe the comparably few donors who keep wikiloops running a pretty big pat on the shoulder! Thank you - you know who you are.

In short - 2013 was a year of many big & little improvements - take a look into the developers blog to get a full list, or - for the fun of it- have one carefull glimpse at the screenshot of the interface the way it was a year ago :) Thanks to OliVBee for many things and the help with beta testing!
Our spanish speaking friends will be very happy to spot the spanish interface Leonardo created for them in 2013, and those who stopped by from their mobile phone lately might have noticed my attempts to serve them better - so, a lot has been improved.

Let me end by sharing a story and a thought that crossed my mind:
A week ago. Me calls up wikiloops after dinner, and "oops", all avatar pics are gone and the front page is full of error messages - turns out, it was not the nsa but a script I setup myself that accidently erased all database entries about avatar pics.
After a short sweat, I restored the lost data from a backup copy (a procedure I had never used before) and informed those whos avatars were obviously lost about the mishap.
It made me think.
Wikiloops is a pretty big thing by now. And with every single track, thought or moment people share on wikiloops, my responsibility to keep the engine running gets a little heavier - what a shame it would be not to fix any occuring bug within a few hours, or to loose some part of the data because no-one took care of regular backups...

We have created something good here -
you, the members who do the magic, and me who does the housekeeping.

Please support the ongoing maintenance mission by donating if you can afford to.

I'm looking forward to any feedback you might want to give, you know me, always happy about input :)

That's all folks,
have a good time jamming 2014

your wikiloops coder, admin and general fool on the hill
posted on #2
OliVBee Supporter
man i'm sure happy to read this positive report ! i wish every single member could realize the huge amount of work it takes to maintain such a nice platform ...
we all have to keep donating because that's the only way wikiloops can keep going !
Dick you have done great so far ! keep it up in 2014 : more improvements, bugs squishing, more stats and nice features :)
Cheers !!

ps : don't make a bolo wire of your cables man !! ;)
Daddario EXL170
Daddario EXL170
Electric Bass String Set
22,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
Babbazitt Supporter
Great job all round!!! thanks.
posted on #4
Mrtwarr
Keep up the great work!
posted on #5
Pav
Dick, you should be immensely proud of yourself - I know there were people helping you along the way, but we know and appreciate where the biggest brunt lies.
You're created something that thousands of people globally enjoy, and that's something that not a lot of people can say about themselves.

Well done, and happy new year to you!
posted on #6
Jaymny
Thanks to all that make this place work. It's amazing. You have created something magical. A place to practice, listen, create, and most importantly, de-stress from the daily grind of work and family. This is not just a web site but medicine for those who have once experienced the highly addictive drug of music. The most powerful medium that has no borders. And thats why this site has doubled and tripled. And that's why this site will grow exponentially. Glad to be around to see it personally.
Thanks again.
posted on #7
Danalyze45
Dick;

First of all a HUGE thank you to you for creating / maintaining WikiLoops. This is far and away more than a simple "loops" site. I have learned and grown as a musician by being a part of this wonderful world of friends you have created here. That is a priceless gift. I wish you, your family and all here at Wikiloops all the best ahead in 2014! Let's ROCK this thing in 2014 :)

Dan S
posted on #8
Steve2000
Thank you, Dick, for everything that you are doing.

Wikiloops is THE best site on the internet. That is number one out of over 644 million! :)

Happy New Year!
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
carlaJP
I am happy to be a donor and hope many more will join in this aspect of things. I have done a lot of things out of love which eventually had to stop because of lack of support so I understand the pressures. This site is a pleasant surprise, a joy, and a shot of adrenaline all in one. Thank you for keeping it going!

Carla JP
posted on #10
The Duped
I am a relatively new member to this site and have not only found it a very stable platform but all the musicians / peeps / members.....Have been very helpful...And are of a very high standard when it comes to skills and advice..And I thank you for that...

The report reads well and is conclusive of what seems to be a very expanding site...In fairness its the only place out here that I have found so far......Its a little strange that you only seem to be hitting a relatively small section within Britain but Im sure that will all change.....Im not that sure how I actually came across your site but Im glad I did and will be Jamming with you guys for the foreseeable future.....If you'll all have me......:D

So all that said....good luck to all for the coming year may you all prosper firstly in the spiritual mind for these are all the riches we need.....Speak soon my new found friends of 2014......Love and Light #theduped #wikiloops .....
posted on #11
fRedShift
Hey Dick!

Just read your '13 report! Those are impressive numbers! Wow!! Made me realize the size of all this that you created and made possible! Wikiloops is really [u]one of the best things[/u] that the web has brought to the online people and I'm grateful to have found it and enjoy it almost everyday since then. I hope the amount of work you put in is fairly compensated, if not by donations, by a very well deserved amount of pride!

Keep up the good work Dick!!!

Cheers, and a Happy New Year to you and your loved ones!

Fred

.... now I'm off to PayPal! :D
posted on #12
Dick Supporter
Just wanted to give thanks for all your encouraging and nice comments and messages I have received in the last few days.

It is good to know you guys are out there, and I'm happy for every minute of fun people have around here.

Lets hope there is a good future for all of us here, and lets embrace the oportunity to experience how alike we are, no matter where we were born or what else may look diffrent at first sight.

I'm looking forward to what will happen in 2014! All the best to you!
Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30
Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30
Cabinet for Electric Guitar
169 €
posted on #13
mandolodda
Vielen Dank Dick
für all deine arbeit.

Lieben Gruß
posted on #14
Basster
Hello Dick!!
Nice to see that Wikiloops becomes bigger and better every year! I like to see that the number of donators is growing up and more and more People want to be a very important part of wikibunch ;)
I am just remenbering my first time on wikiloops, when there just had been a handfull of musicians - most of them from "Funkhaus Flowsdorf" ;). We had been just a small family on a mosttimes german spoken board. Now there are thousands of good musicians from all over the world jamming together.
Thank you for making this possible!
posted on #15
PeterVeillon
Thank you on so many levels Dick. You are greatly appreciated and are a true friend. Peace from California :)
posted on #16
Pete-Silence
it's been a while but you created something special Dick.
Good to read the report !
All the best wishes too you my friend
posted on #17
JMB65 Supporter
Hi,

at first I want to say thanks for this wonderful platform! As a Software developer for now more than 25 Years I can estimate the work you put into!

Further I like the transparency you share here, this is such a positive example. If you EVER need a Bass-Line for any production, let me know. ;)

Until then I donate....:D
posted on #18
ROBJOL Supporter
I hope that users now understand the necessity to participate with donations. It was a great idea to introduce the "support member" identification. It made me understand that we must all participate to maintain the site.

Thanks for this wonderful site Richard.
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Rode NT1-A Complete Vocal Recording
299 €
posted on #19
Rickplayer
I also want to thank you and everyone involved with this site it is truly the best music site on the net. Stands above all the rest. I have tried different ones in the past. Found wikiloops and enjoy playing and collaborating with everyone on the wiki. Very happy to see the way it is put together and the musicians here put their support in helping you and each other to keep it going. The numbers don't lie when its good its good and when you come out as well as you do its super good.

Thanks for this wonderful site
Rickplayer Dave
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
A friendly and welcoming place, it gives me the chance to be creative and have so much fun with an amazingly talented community. Thanks!
Shi

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy.