Home »Forum»Hey there...»I'm back ….harassing people that is !! ;-)

i'm back ….harassing people that is !! ;-)

posted on #1
Supporter
hi guys !

i'm new here so i thought i'd introduce myself :

i'm from Portugal, 54 years old & my name is Nuno, i'm an artist/designer/silversmith, an avid motorcyclist & can't imagine my life without music !!

FORTUNATELY am going through some sort of "mid-life crisis" which, among other VERY good things, has brought me back to off-road motorcycling every chance i get AND to play the bass after stopping 20 years ago !..

30 years ago i used to play in a small time but fun band which made up through sheer enthusiasm/contagious live energy what we lacked in musical ability - when we played, EVERYBODY danced !

these 2 got more airplay so if curious, check us here & have a laugh :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYQJZReY1pM - A side on our single
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E4iPgfmQI - B side

i played a US made 1978 Fender Precision ( nice bass/tone but weighed a TON..) through a Seymour Duncan 4000 Bass amp + a homemade cab w/ 2 X 15'' EV drivers - that rig pumped out a GINORMOUS SOUND

always had this frustration of knowing i'd never play as "nice" as my favourite bass players, the list being SOO big i'll spare you but trust me when i say all the usual suspects are a part of it...Pastorius, S.Clarke, Hellborg, S.Thunes to name but a few !

so, when the band split - amicably enough to avoid jail time !...LOL… - since there were none of the toys available today that make bass playing alone at home bearable, i sold my bass to a friend & gave him my amp & cab since i thought the rig was too nice to just let it die under a ton of dust : someone might as well enjoy it, you know ?...that was 20 years ago

recently when out on the hills behind my house riding my off-road motorcycle, i stumbled on this group of riders, we got talking & guess what ? yup, some get together a couple of times a week to play & i was invited to drop by...

i did & next thing i know, bitten by the bug again i went bonkers, bought a few ''toys'' & BOOOM !! i'm back into full "annoy the neighbours" mode !!…LOL…
luckily since they all go away for the day & i work at home, i can make all the noise i want until at least 6.30PM - the only limitation being when the furniture starts moving around by itself…

this is my gear :

[img] http://www.flickr.com/photos/13706825@N03/sets/72157634616940511/#[/img]

thanks to this new found joy of playing, YouTube bass lessons, my iMac/GarageBand & my Zoom B3 looping feature, i've got my half assed chops back, actually bettered them SLIGHTLY through sheer stubbornness & I AM HAVING A BALL…
but there's still a LONG WAY to go

finally & to wrap it up, how lucky i was to find this website - this is a FABULOUS IDEA !! & i KNOW i'll have a lot of fun here

my best regards to everyone here & let the fun start ! ;-)
Edited by nuno1959 on 06-01-2014 22:59
plenty of time to rest when i'm dead...
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
abyssinal from United States

"I support wikiloops because it's a great way for musicians around the world to share ideas and not have their egos kill each other. Thanks."

wikiloops.com uses Cookies to provide you the best possible browsing experience.
Read more in our data privacy policy.