Home »Forum»Recording and mixing»Audacity users ...

Audacity users ...

posted on #1
Supporter
Ok..so here's my issue...I am using Audacity...and trying to take alot of care in mixing my track in with others..When I think it sounds good enough to upload..After I upload it here...my track seems to be overpowering(IMHO).

Any Audacity experts here have any input as to why that is happening?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanmks...Mark
posted on #2
Supporter
Hi!
Don`t know if i am an expert but i use audacity too.
My problem is not a generaly owerpowering - it is more like a bass bosst. My uploads on wikiloops have a litlle more bass than i mixed in in audacity. But i don`t use the soundcard from my computer - i use my external audiointerface and record with audacity
Tha bass has to be a lil louder...!
posted on #3
Supporter
Yeah..I dunno...seems like something is happening to the mix during my upload..some are ok..others "different" . Drivin me crazy trying to find the issue(most likely something I am doing..or not doing). Gonna have to just review my editing and use the process of elimination I guess. Old dog..new technology..lol haha
posted on #4
Supporter
I don't think this is much of an Audacity issue. If you mix with studio monitors/headphones that are "flat" (little to no eq) then the issue with playback is not yours. Do you have a track of your playing and the backing track? If so, I can give mixing them a whirl. But, to be honest, you're always at the mercy of the mix before you. If it's bad then there's not much you can do.
Edited by DannyK on 24-01-2015 19:45
posted on #5
Supporter
Hi Mark,

If you think the amount of "boost" is consistent, then you could simply take your track and use the effect "amplify" and give it a negative (e.g. -4dB). Simple fix (once calibrated to your problem) if the observed "boost" is roughly the same each time.

Cheers,

Wade
posted on #6
just slide the speaker icon slider at the top a bit before you export the mp3
posted on #7
Supporter
I also find uploading here my mixes sound different once on the site, often the drums come further forward with a brasher top end. But it seems consistent from upload to upload - it could just be the way the in-site music player works. I've finally got some half-decent hifi speakers so I mix on those, but I also now plug in a pair of desktop PC speakers and compare the mixes between the two. I also use my in-ear headphones for a third mix comparison. Also listening at a very low volume as well as your normal one helps isolate dominant instruments too.

I don't use Audacity except when I'm editing single audio files for say, a ringtone, but I think it supports VSTs (and AUs if you're on a Mac). It might be worth downloading some mastering tools, such as a multi band compressor or a maximiser (I use LoudMax - it's free). MeldaProduction's free VST plugins are excellent too. This will help you take control of levels and the final sound.

The only other top tip I can give is, if you're mixing on speakers, turn it up a bit and leave the room and listen from 'round the corner'. You'll quite often hear whether there's too much of something. It's a surprisingly effective technique.
Edited by mpointon on 21-04-2015 19:33
posted on #8
Supporter
When you find your mixes sound different once on the site, here's a little suggestion that may be useful:
1. become a supporting member :)
2. upload as a private jam
3. listen, delete, remix
repeat 2-3 until satisfied :)
posted on #9
jstef wrote:
When you find your mixes sound different once on the site, here's a little suggestion that may be useful:
1. become a supporting member :)
2. upload as a private jam
3. listen, delete, remix
repeat 2-3 until satisfied :)

Brilliant!
posted on #10
I also noticed different mp3 encoding algorithms can introduce undesirable sounds which aren't present in the uncompressed project.
posted on #11
Hello everyone. You may find this helpful:

Cody, I found the answer and solution. It is not all Wikiloops fault.

THe solution is here but it depends how technical you want to get. To keep it simple:
1. DO check out the three audio samples to understand the problem.
2. Click the link to "Introduction to dithering " and watch the video.
3.You DO NOT have to purchase OZONE. Audacity, Reaper etc... will do dithering.

Dont worry about being overly technical or if you do want to get technical ...have at it.

Dithering is adding low level noise so the internet doesnt do it for you.

In Audacity I simply went to preferences and turned on dither for best quality. I uploaded a private jam and will check it 24 hours from now against the master.

[url=https://www.izotope.com/en/community/blog/tips-tutorials/2014/06/mastering-for-compressed-audio-formats/] Mastering for compressed audio formats. [/url]
posted on #12
In my case bass was getting expanded and muddy whilst cymbals became "fluttery" almost phased out.I would literally hear the degradation worsen each time I refreshed the webpage.

People think you are crazy.I have lost a ton of comments from ruined mixes I was ashamed to have up on the web. Neil Young yanked his songs of the internet for exactly this.

I am happy to report at time of this posting my test song is doing exceptionally well and intact.

I am happy to report after 18 hours my mix suffered no degradation worth noting other then some very very slight compression which I could definitley live with. I would say it is worth a shot to anyone who is frustrated by mixes "changing" after upload or instruments mysteriously being boosted. Its a good bet the opposite spectrum is suffering from whatever is being expanded outward.
Edited by Relativity on 05-08-2015 22:39
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
twixs321 from United States

"good karma"

wikiloops.com uses Cookies to provide you the best possible browsing experience.
Read more in our data privacy policy.