Home »Forum»Recording and mixing»What microphone should I look at

What microphone should I look at

posted on #1
Supporter
Hi guys, I am thinking of buying a microphone. I would like to use it to record vocals sometimes, and would like to use it to record the guitar tracks from my amp rather than plug the pre-amp directly into the computer.

I haven't got a lot to spend, what are your suggestions?
Should I look for a good used one?
Anybody selling one?

Thanks for your help :)

P.S. just remember: I will sing and upload it here, so be warned :o
posted on #2
Hey TG!..I use a AKG D310 vintage mic..., really well made and just totally straight forward basically. I've seen them on ebay for £35 - £50. These are a tough mic.. will cope with being dropped on the floor ect! (it does happen hehe!). I'd defo look for a good used one!:)
posted on #3
Supporter
incivanpico wrote:
Hey TG!..I use a AKG D310 vintage mic..., really well made and just totally straight forward basically. I've seen them on ebay for £35 - £50. These are a tough mic.. will cope with being dropped on the floor ect! (it does happen hehe!). I'd defo look for a good used one!:)

OK I will look for one - that seems to be a price I can live with. Maybe if I'll get the same one as you I'll sound good, too :D
posted on #4
Supporter
[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/CLASSIC-AKG-ACOUSTICS-DYNAMIC-D-310-S-MICROPHONE-IN-CASE-WITH-INSTRUCTIONS-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/jEQAAOSwEeFVT7VU/$_57.JPG[/img]
posted on #5
Supporter
this the right one?
posted on #6
Supporter
I use a Shure SM58 and a AKG D125 and both are very good :)
Edited by adu on 16-05-2015 22:41
Rockin´ in a free world !
posted on #7
Supporter
AT2020, affordable, large membrane, good value for money
posted on #8
Supporter
Rode NT1-a
It works fine, don't know if it is suitable for guitaramps...

Cheerzzz
posted on #9
Supporter
Rode NT1-a
It works fine, don't know if it is suitable for guitaramps...

Cheerzzz
posted on #10
Supporter
I'd recommend the Shure SM58, too. All-around heavy duty mic. In fact, for their prices, get an SM57 for the guitar amp and an SM58 for the vocals. Industry standards!
posted on #11
Supporter
OK thank you all. I got a cheap AKG, will play with it and then I will think about one for the guitar amp.

Thanks for the good information, y'all!!!!
posted on #12
Supporter
Have fun! :)
posted on #13
Supporter
OK, the AKG arrived, and it works, so that's good. Unfortunately I played with it all afternoon and whatever I did I am not happy with the result. The problem is I don't know how close to it should I sing, if I am too close then I can hear me breathing on it, and lots of other frustrating things. HELP :O
posted on #14
Supporter
first thing you need if recording your voice is an anti pop ! should help on many sides ;)
breathing is part of vocals dude ! don't try to cut it down to nothing or your vocals will sound very unnatural !
clusters Clusters CLUSTERS !!!!!!
posted on #15
Supporter
OK Oliv, I will build a pop blocker to start with as a start.Breathing - well I tried to cut it down completely but after I fainted twice I suspected breathing is important :D
Seriously though, I will see how it goes, I read in the manual that the angle of the mic is important to reduce the breathing sounds.

I will have to play with it, it's like learning a new instrument...and it won't be easy for sure.:|
posted on #16
Hey TG!
Try moving off the mic when your not singing anything and then when the next bit of lyrics come up then move back in and sing, then off again to breathe (its a bit of a dance really)....I don't stay waiting with my mouth at the mic when not actually singing or anywhere near it that it could pickup sounds. It is a new instrument and you'll find what suits you ect....;)

Pico ;)
posted on #17
Supporter
OK, I realise now that I need some sort of pre-amp as the signal coming out of the microphone is too weak for the PC. Any suggestions for something affordable, considering that singing is not my main instrument - I just want to play with it a little.

Thanks!
posted on #18
Supporter
If you have a mixer you may be able to use that to boost the signal up to line level, or otherwise you could use a a basic interface? The FocusRite's seem to get a good review here.
posted on #19
I teach my vocalist to turn left or right when a breath is needed. I have used many mics but always return to the AT4040. I can use it on anything. Also as mentioned the 2020.
-Zamzam & the MellyOmatic-
posted on #20
Supporter
OK, I went for this interface/pre-amp http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_serie/modelle/ur12.html

It is probably more expensive than I wanted to spend, but.... I hope it'll work.

Thanks fo all the advice
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
Pokec from Czech Republic

"In my opinion, wikiloops is one of the best contributions to the real-music world in years."

wikiloops.com uses Cookies to provide you the best possible browsing experience.
Read more in our data privacy policy.