Home » Forum » Feedback and Suggestions »
Search option for instruments requested?

Search option for instruments requested?

posted on #1
DannyK
I know I can search for, say, tracks with a particular instrument missing but what about giving uploaders the option to select instruments requested. This way, one can search not only by tracks missing a particular instrument but by instruments wanted/requested by the original artist.

Search by: tracks looking for <[i]instrument x[/i]>.

Make sense?
posted on #2
Dick Supporter
Hey Danny,
certainly a valid idea on a possible future feature :)
Let me just give my personal feeling towards this, maybe some others would like to share their opinion so we can decide wether that is really a good thing to have.
Personally, I have seen such a "request remix by instrument"-flag system on some other jamming community (otherwise quite un-like to the 'loops btw), and it created a somewhat strange impression:
By seeing a lot of tracks that are "requesting attention", one gets the impression that there is a lack of attention. I know that this is a common feeling among creatives, independent of the platform or kind of release (CDs dont get the deserved attention either...) which can not be avoided, but I felt the "request" thing shifts the focus towards the issue in a negative way.
New people might be lead to believe wikiloops worked by dumping material and adding a wishlist, which is far from what we do.
Lastly, how to treat the "request" flag once th request is met? If I'd like to have some vocalist on my tune, but the first vocalist who ads really ruins the song IMO, will the request flag disappear? Will it stay? Shall it be time based, p.e. for four weeks after release?

The way wikiloops is set up now only lets you do one thing:
You may share your work if you like, knowing you have no idea what will happen and no guarantee anything will happen. You are happy if someone gives feedback or has fun with what you made.
I believe its really good that expectation-free way, and it makes it really easy to create the positive experience of "more than I would have expected" :)
The request feature might lead to the opposite. If you request bass, keys, sax and vocals and get a really outstanding bass remix, you may still feel only 25% of what you wished for happened.
If you couldn't request anything and get the same outstanding bass remix, you might appreciate that unexpected thing much more...
I know people don't really like to face it, but there is a lot of psychology to maintaining a community in a good spirit. Unlike some other sites (...) I try to steer away from manipulating emotions by artificial semi-intelligence, but avoiding possible psychologic traps is something I don't feel bad about.
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Electric Guitar
2.249 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
DannyK
Hmm. I see where you're coming from. Perhaps exclusive cliques would form over such a feature. Besides, this feature is already available through the band feature, right? I do appreciate the friendly nature of the site and would't want anything to tarnish it.

"You may share your work if you like, knowing you have no idea what will happen and no guarantee anything will happen. You are happy if someone gives feedback or has fun with what you made."

This makes the most sense to me. I didn't think that the "instrument request" idea could interfere with that creative/spontaneous process.
posted on #4
Girard
In my opinion, it can be assumed any and all instruments are desired on every track, because any addition is appreciated. Requesting a specific instrument seems redundant.

I also REALLY REALLY like what Dick said about the morale of the users and the psychological effects of the way things work....

Dick said:

[center]I know people don't really like to face it, but there is a lot of psychology to maintaining a community in a good spirit. Unlike some other sites (...) I try to steer away from manipulating emotions by artificial semi-intelligence, but avoiding possible psychologic traps is something I don't feel bad about.[/center]

And it's true.
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
Wikiloops is an amazing platform to experiment with the styles of music that I never have had the opportunity to vocalize with. Thanks to all the excellent musicians/producers, the sound quality of the tracks are spectacular.
rtkradle from United States

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy.