Home »Forum»Musicians forum»How to improve a composition

how to improve a composition

posted on #1
User Avatar Member
This is a friendly little forum and this is the reason I dare to say I want to improve. This is a main motivation in writing songs.

How to write a great B-part?

There are endless musical ideas. A lick, a new progression, 4 or 8 bars. It is very easy to get in touch with a new idea. It never stops.

But a song consists out of two ideas. They need to be both strong.

The Beatles were the masters, their compositions have the best B-parts.

How do you handle your search? I use some music theory, some trial and error.

The older I get, I want to learn about what I do. Example given: to improve a progression I try to identify the weakest bar and replace it.
Have fun!
posted on #2
User Avatar Supporter
Writung a good AND compatible (not talking of a good bridge) is very hard.
A few tips that i noticed over the years:
Make the a-part with a backbeat and the b-part straight (especialy for verses and choruses)
Use some kind of change of tonal center. That can be using chords in part that are avoided in the other. Or use a major-minor modulation. Or for that sake a regular 2-5
Pure fingerstyle
posted on #3
User Avatar Member
Nice advice guys not a singer if I was I'd sing tenor 10 or 15 miles away so you wouldn't hear me lol. great information
posted on #4
User Avatar Supporter
This fits the heading
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAckLGgA86o] From the master[/url]
And read the comments as well, there is a lot to be learned there
Edited by nilton on September 20 2015 17:25
Pure fingerstyle
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
mikemccabe from United States

"Wikiloops is AWESOME. I would love to create a site / tool as cool as this for other musicians! Great work ॐॐॐ "

Please note: As you are visiting wikiloops, any personal data that is being processed is treated in compliance to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
You may review our data privacy policy to learn how and why we are using Cookies and other techniques as we are providing our service to you.