Home »Forum»Recording and mixing»Mac OS X El Capitan and DAW

Mac OS X El Capitan and DAW

posted on #1
Supporter
El Capitan is published today.

So Let's share the information about the new OS with software and audio interface.
I have tried using the β version of El Capitan. But Coreaudio is detected as incompatible software. I hope that it can be improved :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MacBook Pro(MID 2010), 6GB RAM, MBOX minI, Logic Pro X (10.2)
posted on #2
Supporter
I received warnings from Native Instruments to not update. I'm holding off on it for awhile.
posted on #3
Supporter
Indeed.
Thanks for the information, Danny:)
posted on #4
Supporter
Steinberg users also be warned:

Important information regarding OS X 10.11

September 28, 2015
On September 30 Apple will release the new OS X version El Capitan. Our first tests show that different issues occur when running Steinberg products under OS X 10.11. We therefore cannot recommend our customers to update to El Capitan.

Detailed information regarding product compatibility will be published from October 23, 2015, after completing all compatibility tests. However, we can inform you today that Cubase 8.0.30, Nuendo 7.0.30 and the MR Tools and UR drivers are not compatible with El Capitan and advise you not to update your operating system until we provide compatible versions.

If you rely on a trouble-free operation of our products, we recommend waiting with the update of El Capitan until the entire compatibility chart for all Steinberg products has been published.
posted on #5
Supporter
Thank you jm :)
posted on #6
Supporter
Right now I have updated to El Capitan. But AVID USB audio interface is not recognized. Didn't change the situationeven when re-install the driver. By the way, it was recognized with no driver Once I have connected a cheap audio interface. I will wait for the corresponds of AVID :)
posted on #7
Supporter
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p=2298907#post2298907
posted on #8
Supporter
ProTools is extremely finicky. If I were still using it I'd never update once I got it running smoothly, LOL.
posted on #9
Supporter
Ok, on El Capitan now, no real issues. Garageband works perfectly with all plugins. On Logic X and Mainstage, Native Instruments (Kontakt) and iZope plugins are not validated and thus do not work, but they are fine in Garageband. Cubase AI 6 works fine with the latest eLicenser. Steinberg CI2+ and JAM interfaces work perfectly. All in all pretty painless. There are published workarounds for iZope and Native Instruments if you really need them.

EDIT Steinberg CI2+ is not working properly and suffers from occasional dropouts. It is worst in Cubase, but also happens in Garageband. This is whilst recording, which makes it unusable in Cubase, and barely usable in Garageband, where you have to be lucky to get through a song without problems.
Edited by jmrukkers on 06-11-2015 19:53
posted on #10
Supporter
AVID is always slow work hahaha :)

I was downgrade the OS to the Mavericks. Why not a Yosemite? In my MacBook Pro heavy operation even in Yosemite. But Mac fan I wanted to run the El Capitan.

Thank you tell the verification result jm. I like iZope. That is the good plug-in. waves are difficult for me. T-rackS is flashy :)
posted on #11
Supporter
https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8801
posted on #12
Supporter
Had no problems with core audio and Reaper here. My interface is quite old, using a FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter but no sync problems or compatability issues. Reaper updated to v5 not long before El Capitan released, though.
Edited by mpointon on 16-10-2015 23:18
posted on #13
Supporter
There's an update out today for El Capitan, upgrading the OS to 10.11.1. This update has solved the issues I had with the Native Instruments AU components (manual rescan was needed to bring them back alive)). Kontakt Player is fine now again in Mainstage, probably also in Logic, but since I don't have that installed at the moment cannot test that myself.
posted on #14
Supporter
Perhaps it's time for me to upgrade ...
posted on #15
Supporter
There's a new driver out now for Yamaha and Steinberg interfaces (I am using it with my Steinberg CI2+ and it resolves all problems, for me at least, and (joy) also enables the use of aggregate devices, so I can now also use devices other than the Steinberg interface with my Cubase AI 6 version, and monitor through my main headphone amp.

The download is available at
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/downloads/firmware_software/yamaha_steinberg_usb_driver/yamaha_steinberg_usb_driver_mac_latest.jsp
Edited by jmrukkers on 08-11-2015 09:55
posted on #16
Supporter
I have just updated to Yosemite. I will surely wait a few months before i unstall something else.
posted on #17
For what it is worth, I'm running a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 onto a Macbook / GB running El Capitan.

no problems works fine.
posted on #18
Supporter
Audio driver for my audio interface from AVID has been updated a few days ago.
However, Pro Tools 12 In my MacBook Pro(2010) seems tough :(
posted on #19
Supporter
I updated to El Capitan and Apple modified the logic pro program. They made disappear the "record button" in the program so I could no more record music. (I had payed the program $600.00 CAN)
When I opened the program there was a message that I had to upgrade Logic Pro (Cost almost $300.00 CAN)

I spent de $$$$

Mean company with immoral practices.
:o
posted on #20
Supporter
I desactivated internet on the computer I use for music. Everything works fine and I won't update anything anymore.

No Apple or Mucrosoft will come in my computer anymore.
:o
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
Pedersen from Denmark

"Everyone deserves to be able to jam with others! supporting wikiloops with a penny here and there, and share links on the web makes this possible!"

wikiloops.com uses Cookies to provide you the best possible browsing experience.
Read more in our data privacy policy.