Home »Forum»Recording and mixing»Dropouts, and noise nuendo

dropouts, and noise nuendo

posted on #1
So, I have two computers in different locations. My main rig so to speak, is a pretty late model laptop with windows 8 an 8gb memory 1tb harddrive running an old nuendo 4 and a Steinberg CI1. it works fine. My Home rig is an older pc with xp, and I don't remember the rest, but it was new and fairly upscale when vista came out.
same nuendo, same CI1, I get dropouts while recording, it continues to record, but I can't monitor what is being played, also some annoying clicks at times. I thought I had the same settings on both setups. Any Ideas anybody?
Please bear in mind I am almost a senior citizen, so I don't really understand most of this, or the lingo, or where I left my keys, what day is it, where am I, ok you get the picture. The answer (if any) needs to be dumbed down for me !! oh also I have no money for new hardware or software etc.
thanks all
jeff
posted on #2
User Avatar Supporter
One thing you can do is hit <ctrl><alt><del> to activate the activity monitor and have a look what programs and processes are eating your cpu.
The behavior you are describing is a indication of high cpu load. This can be somewhat remedied by deselecting unneeded services and startup programs.
Pure fingerstyle
posted on #3
User Avatar Member
I agree with nilton this sounds like a problem with programs running in background eating up the cpu. I have an older Dell running windows 7 that had the same problem so I stopped everything I did not need running in the background and the problem was gone.

Good Luck
posted on #4
Thanks, Nilton and Rick, I will try that when I get home on the weekend.

jeff
posted on #5
no luck, sill having issues !
posted on #6
Have you got an anti virus program running? Make sure it is not scanning for viruses or updating while you are recording.

Also: Check the mechanical connections of the speakers, I had some annoying click sounds and it turned out to be the earphone socket, it is more or less worn out now and whenever the cable moves I get clicks or cut-outs. Just an idea...
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
6stringvin from Canada

"Love!!"

Please note: As you are visiting wikiloops, any personal data that is being processed is treated in compliance to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
You may review our data privacy policy to learn how and why we are using Cookies and other techniques as we are providing our service to you.