Home »Forum»Musicians forum»Textbook Musicianship

Textbook Musicianship

posted on #1
User Avatar Supporter
With the recent and very sad news of David Bowie's death, I'd like to draw your attention to one of my absolute favourite live recordings of all time. I will say right now, I'm not actually a David Bowie fan - never have been - but this gig epitomises everything that, to me, makes a truly great band. This is, quite literally, 'textbook musicianship' for me. One of those occasions where everything just went 'right'.

Admittedly, I learned a whole new respect for Bowie's music from this recording - hearing how good his songs are in a plain, band form rather than his famous shows. But it's more than that; listen to the backing band. Every one of them an exponent of their instrument - playing nothing more and nothing less than is absolutely needed. But executed to utter perfection. Sterling Campbell on drums is prefect - every rhythm, every fill is perfectly-judged and fits in a form that you cannot imagine it being done any other way. Yolanda Charles on bass - beautiful melodies but solid as a rock. They are an utter joy to listen to. A rhythm section to die for.

It doesn't matter whether you're a Bowie fan or not. Please listen to some or all of this. It is, to me, a pure education in how to play in a band. As I say, I never was a Bowie fan but I've listened to this recording so many, many times and I love it. His death has brought home to me how much value I place on this performance.

If you're a Bowie fan, listen to and love his fantastic musicianship laid bare. If you're not, listen and enjoy what happens when a band just gets it plain right.

[youtube]aY54qW7SK8Y[/youtube]

Utter perfection in my book. If I could ever - ever - play just one gig to this quality I will be a happy man for ever more! And, despite being the super A-List star he was,I love how he thanks and appreciates his musicians. A gent.
Edited by mpointon on January 13 2016 02:04
posted on #2
Great show - real pros.
posted on #3
User Avatar Member
It would be nice to listen to it but as it ihas become normal for youtube these days, its been taken ddwn for copyright infringement....Grrrrrrrrrr
posted on #4
User Avatar Supporter
Oh rats! That's been up there for a couple of years at least! They're obviously having a posthumous clamp-down whilst all his albums are raking it in again! :(
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
AKchen from Germany

"so happy about ... thank you wikiloops & all those fantatstic musicians here"

Please note: As you are visiting wikiloops, any personal data that is being processed is treated in compliance to the European General Data Protection Regulation.
You may review our data privacy policy to learn how and why we are using Cookies and other techniques as we are providing our service to you.