Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
The Vocalists Thread

The Vocalists Thread

posted on #1
Shamika Supporter
I'm aiming this thread at singers/vocalists, their styles, techniques, successes, failures, useful vocal tips, comparisons etc. In fact, anything vocal about vocals :)
+2
posted on #2
Shamika Supporter
We could talk about stuff like

> Have you ever had formal voice training ?

> Have you ever suffered through singing badly or too much ?

> Do you belong to a choir ?

> Have you had to lower or raise your pitch for any reason ?

> Which part of harmony (with others) do you like to take

> Do you try to sing like someone you admire ?

> Are you a screamer or a breathy whisperer ?

I'll leave you with a few thoughts now :)
+2
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Electric Guitar
159 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
rootshell Supporter
my first time ever in choir was 6th grade. not sure why i joined, but i did. got selected to do a duet with another person, for an event in a large auditorium. was so nervous, i think it made me not want to be involved with choir or music stuff while in school. i never took a music class or sang (in school related stuff) after that.

i like to try and mimic a style, if i can, or at least try and have fun with it. have done throaty metal stuff, a Jimi Hendrix impersonation, maybe an AC/DC-like style, sang in Spanish, and tried and failed at singing in French :D

singing is interesting, much like a guitar, where you can have "effects", it's the same with singing for me, just more challenging. effects would be, clearer, softer, breathy, louder/scream, throaty, nasally, from the belly, more headier, falsetto, closer, further, etc.

unfortunately i had to lower my pitch when i went through puberty, really didn't have control over that :D
+3
posted on #4
Shamika Supporter
I love your response Nick and I've had much the same experiences. There were some great female singers at my school but they never got picked for the choir, they were told they were too "distinctive"
+2
posted on #5
Shamika Supporter
So many people (including musicians) tell me they CAN'T sing. Reasons are many and varied from shyness - to being tone deaf. But I don't accept that. Unless you have lost the ability to talk, you CAN sing.

It doesn't matter if you think listeners will judge you or think less of you, that's their problem ; the point is you're trying and the more you try the better you'll get. As long as you let go of your inhibitions and start enjoying the sound of your vocalizing then it's worth having a go.

Singing is so subjective, it goes from a low Monks chant to a soaring, glass breaking Soprano.
We all know famous singers who hardly break sweat, in fact they barely sing at all, but the way they present the lyrics is meaningful.... YOU can do that too.

Of course you don't have to sing, but there are so many good reasons to do it. It's healthy, sociable, expressive, it makes you and others happy no matter how bad you think you are - there's a chance that if you can't hold a tune you probably can't hear if it's good or bad anyway :)

I know my singing is average but occasionally I hit a sweet note and that's so rewarding. Most of you have good mixing equipment so there are ways to disguise or enhance what comes out of your mouth.... but don't use auto tune unless you are really serious or trying to impress or surprise someone.... but is it really going to make you happy, that's the question !

In the meantime, please add your "inspirational thoughts and songs about singing" to this thread
+2
posted on #6
zedders Supporter
I used to try and sing on my 4 track cassette recordings when I was younger. I could only do it by "putting on" a voice, but hey, all the best do the same don't they? It was still out of tune and badly sung all round. I gave up. I think singing is very very hard if the only time you sing is when you want to record some singing once in a blue moon.
posted on #7
Shamika Supporter
zedders wrote:
I used to try and sing on my 4 track cassette recordings when I was younger. I could only do it by "putting on" a voice, but hey, all the best do the same don't they? It was still out of tune and badly sung all round. I gave up. I think singing is very very hard if the only time you sing is when you want to record some singing once in a blue moon.

But Zedders, you shouldn't give up, you should do it more, get to the stage when you sing for pleasure. If you haven't sung in a while you get 'rusty' you have to rev up your engine, get the oil flowing, pull out the throttle and soon you'll be purring. Try different ways until you find a style that suits you..... You can't be "out of tune" if you are the one making the tune up :) Thanks for stopping by all the same
+2
posted on #8
rootshell Supporter
this thread reminded me of doing a song with Tu, it was really inspirational from my point of view. not just to sing with her but to write something to sing over. probably one of the coolest times I've had here on the loops. which reminds me, I may try and remix it as my equipment and tools is different since then.
+1
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
Condenser Clip Microphone for Ovid System
49 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
MySounds Supporter
@Shamika: I hope that others may hear and follow your words of encouragement. Alas, this is not for me as I am cursed. Even humming in the shower turns the water into green slime.
posted on #10
Shamika Supporter
MySounds wrote:
@Shamika: I hope that others may hear and follow your words of encouragement. Alas, this is not for me as I am cursed. Even humming in the shower turns the water into green slime.

MySounds, I'm sure YourSounds are not as bad as you say, you are one of the most self deprecating musicians I know, far to humble and apologetic about your skills :) I know you're exaggerating, but I think if you really wanted to you could find a voice within yourself that's right for you. I'd like to hear you just once :|
+1
posted on #11
Shi Supporter
Hi Shamika, you always post such cool things in the forum. And so interesting to read everyone else's replies too. Well, I shall try and answer your questions.
1/ No I have not had any formal voice or musical training. I was asked to join a choir once but they wanted to make me sound more operatic which isn't really me at all :D Although I might have liked the dressing up part :D oooh Carmen.

2/ Singing badly or too much ? I did try singing with a chest infection once and ended up having a coughing fit with tears streaming down my face. Not the best idea. More lemon and honey please.

3/ I dont belong to a choir but maybe we should see if we could do some wikiloops ensemble singing, that might be fun :)

4/ I always wish I could have a kind of a cool bluesy growl in my voice but I think the only way I could do that would be getting a sore throat or going to the shop and buying those little white fire sticks...nooooooooo perhaps not.

5/ I like singing harmony too so if anyone wants some harmony vocals, I'm in :)

6/ I don't try and emulate anyone because the originals do it so much better :) speaking of vocalists like Adele or Taylor or Amy Winehouse or like Aretha Franklin and Karen Carpenter and so on. You know who they are as soon as they start singing.

7/ A screamer or a breathy..back to the sore throat or the bad cold :D:D
I just sing the song how I feel it I guess and hope it's okay. thanks for reading :)
+4
posted on #12
MySounds Supporter
Just to answer the questions:

1. Yes. Up until I was 14. Teacher was a singer at Covent Garden. Needed the training as singing was part of the RSM piano exams. Then my voice decided on a lifestyle that had more to do with special effects in horror movies.

2. No.

3.-7. No, as I stopped singing after giving it a final try in a band when I was 18. Anyway, the wistful piano player had much better chances of attracting girls than the singer.
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
posted on #13
Shamika Supporter
@Shi, so glad I enticed you in, I feel that you're probably ready to do more singing again soon ? <3
@MySounds, I've not finished with you yet my friend :D
+1
posted on #14
shiihs Supporter
Shi wrote:

3/ I dont belong to a choir but maybe we should see if we could do some wikiloops ensemble singing, that might be fun :)

Where can I sign up? :D
+2
posted on #15
shiihs Supporter
> Have you ever had formal voice training ?
No. But I sing very regularly.

> Have you ever suffered through singing badly or too much ?
No doubt I often sing badly, but usually I can tell where I messed up :)

> Do you belong to a choir ?
Yes - as a singer and occasionally as a composer (premiere of 2 pieces in about 3 weeks...)

> Have you had to lower or raise your pitch for any reason ?
I'm not sure what you mean here. I made a piece once where I used pitchshifting to harmonize myself in real-time: https://youtu.be/AKs25wQiIDU

> Which part of harmony (with others) do you like to take
Usually the bariton part (the "higher" of the two "low" voices in a choir)

> Do you try to sing like someone you admire ?
No. That never works :)

> Are you a screamer or a breathy whisperer ?
If I had to choose one, I'd say breathy whisperer, but more likely the answer is neither?
+1
posted on #16
Zoot Supporter
Interesting topic, I was an 'I cant sing' person but then again I was a 'I cant play a musical instrument' guy for most of my life too! I wrote a few songs for others to sing and then thought I would give it a go and sang on a few of my own songs. I am not a great singer as you can hear but I enjoy doing it and I can get my message across better if I sing it myself. I tried one of those AI tools to sing my songs and realised I wasn't as bad as the AI! As for lessons I have never had any but think I could improve considerably with a coach. There are some outstanding vocalists on the Looops for sure.Any tips greatly appreciated.
+2
posted on #17
Shamika Supporter
Zoot, I love what you said about preferring to sing yourself to get the message across better. Thanks for your input :W
+1
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
Timeless, entertaining, helpful, friendly and always surprising! I like when an idea is growing and is constantly reinvented. All users here are wikiloops and I like that. This is not any site on the web, it is wikiloops!
adu from Germany

wikiloops uses Cookies and processes data in compliance with the GDPR,
as stated in our data privacy policy.